Matt Sandler is a media entrepreneur and saxophonist.
Matt currently serves as Technical Advisor to the Head of Amazon Music, building new audio projects.
Prior to Amazon Music, Matt was the US Head of Early Stage Startups for Amazon, connecting startups and investors with Amazon Web Services, Alexa, and beyond. In parallel, Matt was the Entrepreneur-in-Residence at Techstars Music, a startup accelerator with members including Sony Music, Warner Music, AVEX, Peloton, Concord Music, RecoChoku, Bill Silva Entertainment, Silva Artist Management, QPrime, and Royalty Exchange.
Previously, Matt founded Chromatik, “the Spotify for musicians.” Seeing how technology could impact musicians, Matt and team built the leading mobile platform for sheet music, guitar tabs, and lyrics. Chromatik powered over four million music-makers playing, learning, and sharing the music they love, across 150 countries. Chromatik was acquired in 2017 by TakeLessons, the leading online community for lifelong learning.
Matt is a frequent speaker at conferences and universities, on topics including music technology and entrepreneurship. Notable talks include Stanford University, SXSW, NYU Tisch School of the Arts, NAMM, UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music, Digital Entertainment World, and SF Music Tech.
Matt has been featured in Forbes, Billboard, Mashable, FOX Business, TechCrunch, Inc Magazine’s “Top 30 Under 30”, Entrepreneur Magazine’s “Top 100 Brilliant Companies”, LA Business Journal’s “Top 20 in Their 20s”, and Business Insider’s “Top 30 People to Watch in Tech”.
Matt was a professional saxophonist and held A&R roles at KROQ 106.7FM and Capitol Records. Matt received his BA in Music Performance from UCLA.
- Rolling Stone – Meet the Tech World’s 10 Newest Bets on the Future of Music
- Billboard – Techstars Music Announces 10 Tech Startups for 2020 Accelerator Program
- Techstars Blog – Back to work! Techstars Music 2020: Growing global capital for music tech
- Rolling Stone – How A Startup Accelerator Is Trying To Find The Next Spotify
- Billboard – Meet the 2018 Techstars Music Startups Transforming the Music Industry for Good (Exclusive)
- Pollstar – Techstars Music Accelerator 2018 Presents 10 Visions of the Future
- Billboard – Techstars Music Demo Day 2017
- Forbes – Techstars Music Reveals Inaugural Class of 11 Startups
- Press Release – TakeLessons Acquires Chromatik
- Inc’s 30 Under 30 – Matt Sandler and Chromatik
- BuiltInLA – UCLA Alumni Who Founded Major LA Tech Companies
- FOX Business – Sheet Music Goes Mobile
- GigaOm – Chromatik’s New iOS Application Just Made Sheet Music Cool Again
- Forbes – The Musician’s OS: Tech for Music Education